AVIATION INDUSTRY BACKGROUND CHECKSFAA Pilot Records Improvement Act (PRIA)
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) will provide under a Pilot Records Improvement Act (PRIA) a Pilot Profile Letter that contains the following information from the previous five years:
- Medical certificate verification including issue date, class, and any limitations
- Airman certificate verification including level, category, class, and type ratings
- Summaries of closed FAA legal enforcement actions resulting in a finding by the Administrator of a violation that was not subsequently overturned.
Use of FAA Form 8060-10 is required and must include the Air Carrier Certificate Number, as well as a letter of designation that authorizes Verifications, Inc. to request records on behalf of the air carrier. Businesses, including commercial airlines, operating under FAA regulations parts 121, 125, 135 use this check.
FAA Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) will provide the following under a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request:
- Accident history
- Incident history
- Full enforcement information which will include open, re-opened, pending, and closed enforcements.
The applicant's type of airman certificate, certificate number and DOB are required. Businesses operating under FAA regulations part 91 use this check.
National Driver Register
The National Driver Register (NDR) is a national clearinghouse of driver license information and is available for positions that involve the operation of a motor vehicle, locomotive or airplane. The NDR contains summary information provided by state driver licensing officials on drivers whose licenses have been cancelled, denied, revoked or suspended or drivers who have been convicted of certain serious traffic violations. The following will be furnished on the NDR transcript:
- Name, date of birth, sex, description, and SSN
- Name, date of birth, sex, description, and driver license number or SSN on all possible record matches in the NDR files
- A statement indicating that the possible matches furnished on the transcript may not be the same person for whom the record was requested.
No suspension, revocation, or conviction detail is displayed on the NDR reports. You will need to order a Driving Record check for the state in which each record originated to obtain this information and verify identity. If no record exists within the NDR the transcript will so indicate. You are required to obtain the individual's authorization each time you request information from the NDR. Please note that a specific authorization form is required and available from Verifications, Inc.